- Exposing the tattoo to direct sunlight
- Submerging your tattoo in water for long periods (no baths or swimming)
- Exfoliating/shaving or waxing the tattooed area
- Any unnecessary touching, especially by pets or other contaminants
- Moisturizing with petroleum jellies or petroleum based moisturizers
- Send a Photo of Your Healed Piece To Your Tattoo Artist
How To Take Care of Your New Piercing
Follow Your Piercer’s Instructions
Your new piercing’s proper healing relies on you taking the appropriate care. You can expect an average piercing to take a month or longer to fully heal.
It is normal initially to have some bleeding, localized swelling, tenderness and/or bruising after getting pierced.
During healing, it is common to see some discolouration, itching and secretion of plasma (not pus) that will form light coloured scabbing surrounding the jewelry. Your tissue may also tighten around the jewelry as it heals.
- Clean your piercing twice a day with either Bactine or a saline solution. Always make sure you have washed your hands before touching your piercing and only touch it to clean it until it is fully healed.
- Make sure bedding is kept clean and changed regularly.
Things to Avoid:
- Avoid undue trauma such as friction from clothing, excessive motion of the area, playing with the jewelry and vigorous cleaning. These activities can cause the formation of unsightly and uncomfortable scar tissue, migration, prolonged healing and other complications.
- Avoid the use of alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, Betadine, hibiclens or ointment.
- Avoid over cleaning. This can delay your healing and irritate your piercing.
- Avoid oral contact, rough play, and contact with others bodily fluids on or near your piercing during healing.
- Avoid stress and recreational drug use including excessive caffeine, nicotine and alcohol.
- Avoid submerging the piercing in bodies of water such as lakes, pools, jacuzzis, etc. Or protect your piercing using a special water-proof bandage such as Tegaderm, which is available in drug stores.
- Avoid all beauty and personal care products on or around the piercing including cosmetics, lotions, sprays, etc.
- Don’t hang charms or any other object from your jewelry until the piercing is fully healed.